Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik reviewed drinking water status in the state and directed ensuring minimum of two piped water supply projects in every Panchayat by December, 2018 and full drinking water coverage in 14,170 habitations with partial drinking water supply by May, 2018. Highlights from the review:
– 89% of all habitations in the state are fully covered by piped water supply projects while 9% have are partially covered. Full coverage will be ensured by May, 2018
– Temporary arrangement for two percent habitations affected by fluoride-contamination, high-iron content or saline water; piped water supply to be completed soon in these habitations
– Work orders released for 1762 drinking water projects out of 3769 approved in 2017-18, including 24 major piped water supply projects
– Drinking water supply to 76 GP Headquarters in 2017-18, piped water supply to 5662 GP headquarters
– Full water supply to 2106 partially covered habitations
Chief Minister Shri Patnaik directed commencement of work on 16 approved mega drinking water supply projects worth ₹1610 crore and stressed early completion for maximum benefit to people.