Bhubaneswar: The Main Campus of the Skill Development Institute (SDI), Bhubaneswar, managed by Indian Oil Corporation, was inaugurated at a special function held at Taraboi Village, Jatni, Khordha, today by Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Govt. of India; in the presence of a distinguished gathering of guests including Shri Sanjeev Singh, Chairman, IOCL, Shri Ranjan Kumar Mohapatra, Chairman, SDI and Director (HR), IOCL and Shri N. N. Rao, CEO, SDI, Bhubaneswar, Prof. R. V. Rajkumar, Director, IIT-Bhubaneswar, Prof. G. D. Yadav, Vice Chancellor, ICT, Mumbai and invitees, senior officials of the oil industry, skills sector, consultants, training partners, etc., from different parts of the country.
Speaking on this auspicious occasion Union Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan told that, “Skill India is a flagship project of Government of India launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, on 15th July 2015. As part of this, all PSUs in the oil & gas sector, viz., IOCL, ONGC, GAIL, BPCL, HPCL, OIL, EIL and Balmer Lawrie, have joined hands for the noble cause of setting up Skill Development Institutes across India which is one of such unique CSR initiative by MoP&NG”.
Shri Pradhan added “I am happy to know that reputed employers / recruiters have shown their interest for preferring SDI trainees for recruitment as SDIs passed students have proved their merit by being excellent skilled workforce in their organizations. When the pilot campus was being inaugurated by me, I had promised that this pilot institute will be scaled up to a Mega Model Skill Academy. As promised, I have met my timelines of ensuring that the campus is ready in the year 2019. Odisha got the Petroleum Ministry’s first Skill Development Institute (SDI) in the State Capital with IndianOil as the anchor investor and managing company”.
Shri Pradhan expressed happiness in announcing various projects in the sector of Health, Education, Livelihood and Entrepreneurship, Sanitation, Environment and Renewable Energy, Farmer’s Welfare, Tourism and Public Infrastructure and congratulated IndianOil, ONGC, GAIL, HPCL, BPCL, EIL for making these meaningful contribution to the dream of New Odisha. The dream of New Odisha shall be incomplete without quality education and educational infrastructure, said Shri Pradhan. Shri Pradhan also announced Public Sector Undertaking under Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas have taken up various CSR Project to upgrade the Educational Facilities in 17 Districts like Angul, Balasore, Baragarh, Bhadrak, Cuttack, Deogarh, Dhenknal, Jagatsinghpur, Jharsuguda, Kandhamal, Kendrapada, Khorda, Mayurbhanj, Nayagarh, Nuapada, Puri and Sambalpur.
The welcome address was given by Shri Ranjan Kumar Mahapatra, Chairman, SDI, Bhubaneswar and Director (HR), IOCL and the vote of thanks was given by Shri N. N. Rao, CEO, SDI, Bhubaneswar. As part of this programme, there was an exchange of MoUs between SDI, Bhubaneswar and Industries supporting Centre of Excellence (CoE) like Schneider Electric, Siemens, KEMPPI, Institute of Chemical Technology & collaboration with ICT for skill development courses and between IndianOil and ITI, Bhubaneswar and ITI, Dashrath (Vadodara) on Dual System of Training.
It may be noted here that, the pilot campus of Skill Development Institute (SDI), Bhubaneswar at Mancheswar Industrial Estate was inaugurated on 9th May 2016, by Shri Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister of Odisha; and Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, the then Minister of State for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Govt. of India. While inaugurating the pilot campus, Shri Pradhan had announced plans to set up the Main Campus of SDI at Jatni as a mega model skills academy of international standards. Accordingly, the foundation stone for the Main Campus was laid by the President of India on 18th March 2018.
The pilot campus at Mancheswar Industrial Estate, operational for the past three years, has been offering seven trade courses and providing employability skills training of six months duration for about 200 students per batch, thereby creating a pool of skilled youth who can earn a dignified living with the right employable skills.
Main campus of SDI, Bhubaneswar
The process that began two years ago with a structured plan finally comes to realisation on a campus measuring 46acres near Taraboi, Jatni. The basic facilities like Academic Block, Workshop and allied bulk services are in an advanced stage of completion.
The Institute (SDI) will impart skill development training to over 50,000 students in 25 regular trades pertaining to the hydrocarbons sector, local industry needs, including future skills related to Industry 4.0 over a period of 10 years from inception, apart from other employment-oriented training & RPL courses in line with National Skill Development Mission of Government of India.
The Institute infrastructure is designed to have a self-contained campus for 1000 students and 200 faculty members and staff, smart class rooms and workshops for hands-on skill training. An incubation and entrepreneurship centre would be part of theinstitute.
Various centres of excellence are being established in collaboration with local and internationally reputed institutions and industry partners. These centres would house a large number of specific industry-supported, job-related skill training courses.
The Institute would offer entrepreneurship programmes of national and global interest. Specific local needs would also be taken care of to promote jobs in the local industry.
The institute is being set up as a state-of-the-art, one-of-its-kind model skills academy with global standards that offers best of skills training facilities with a high level of technical sophistication. While the first phase of facilities are ready, the 2nd& 3rd phase of the Institute facilities will be ready by the year end.
Major Highlights of SDI Campus
- State-of-the-art skills training classrooms and labs with latest equipment with focus on hands-on practical training infrastructure along with fully residential green campus for students and staff.
- Multi-level skill development with several trades based on industry demand with prime focus on downstream hydrocarbons/petrochemicals sectors meeting domestic and global employment needs.
- Plug &play centres of excellence in collaboration with major Indian and global academic, skill and industrial institutions.
- Online and off-line NSQF-aligned courses and curriculum with outcome-based learning course modules imparted on campus and off-campus.
- Focus will be not only on training of youth but also ensuring 100% placement assistanceor provision of entrepreneurship/self-employment opportunities.
- International collaboration for developing facilities, equipment and courses that enable the students to be employed in overseas markets.
- Entrepreneur cell for facilitating self-employment/starting own business.
- An innovation/incubation centre with best practices of industry for encouraging innovation/creativity in advanced technology areas.
- Centres of Excellence in collaboration with Indian and global industries offering the latest industry-relevant skills development training
- Initiatives under Green Campus include establishment of solar power station, wastewater and waste management system, rainwater harvesting systems and landscaping.
- Digital learning platforms offering for various online (off campus) courses and digital libraries.
The infrastructure is being constructed through National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), a public sector enterprise,focussing onenvironment-friendly facilities and green building concepts with the following main features:-
- Smart campus with latest building management system
- Green and sustainable campus plan
- World-class sports facilities
- Solar energy to meet >17% of the institute’s power requirements