Bhubaneswar: A team of 12 from Sport Climbing High Performance Centre, Bhubaneswar, have been chosen to participate in the All India Sport Climbing Competition which is going to be conducted by Tata Steel Adventure Foundation, Jamshedpur from 20th – 23rd December, 2019.
The team, consisting of 8 boys and 4 girls, will be led by Coach, Shri. Chinmaya Maharana, along with noted mountaineer Shri Ganesh Jena. Elaborating on this, Brigadier. M.P. Yadav, Indian Mountaineering Foundation, shared, “The Sports Climbing HPC is a pathway for talented young climbers to progress in the discipline including participating in Sport Climbing competitions. These children have been practicing since last three and half months. They are potential climbers and it is a huge platform of exposure for them. Participating in this competition, kids will learn all aspects of climbing, connect with new friends, and gain confidence on the wall.”
Since its launch, earlier this year, the Sport Climbing High Performance Centre, set up by Indian Mountaineering Foundation and Department of Sports and Youth Services, Odisha has seen a good response with close to 100 students from the city practicing at the facility on a daily basis.
Sport Climbing being an Olympic Sport from 2020, the Centre aims to build a team of competitive climbers and build a State team and train and nurture them for national and international competitions over the coming years.
Recently, the national camp led by US Coach Kris Peters concluded. Over 20 national level climbers were imparted training here at the world class facility at the Kalinga Stadium.
The Format of the event is as detailed below
1. Combined event – Lead climbing, Speed climbing and Bouldering in 2020 Tokyo Olympics format
2. Speed Relay – First speed relay event of the country – Team of 3 participants (2 boys + 1 girl) – Open Entry
• 6 – 9 years (Born between 1st Jan’ 2010 – 31st Dec’ 2013) – Boys and Girls – Combined (Top Rope and Bouldering)
• 10 – 13 years (Born between 1st Jan’ 2006 – 31st Dec’ 2009) – Boys and Girls – Combined (Lead, Speed and Bouldering)
• 14 – 16 years (Born between 1st Jan’ 2003 – 31st Dec’ 2005) – Boys and Girls – Combined (Lead, Speed, Bouldering)
2. Speed Relay
• 13 – 30 years (Born between 1st Jan’ 1989 – 31st Dec’ 2007) – 2 Boys and 1 Girl – Speed Relay