Lanjigarh: Vedanta Limited, Aluminium & Power Business’s Lanjigarh unit conducted a cataract operation camp for the senior citizens of the community. The camp was organised to addess the needs of the older people and provide quality health facilities to its community in the region. This is the third phase of cataract camps and was flagged off in Vedanta Hospital, Lanjigarh in association with the NGO, Punaruthan Voluntary Organisation (PVO). Regular monthly cataract camps have been conducted to ensure best-in-class check-ups and treatment to elderly patients suffering from cataract.
Commenting on the occasion, Mr. Rakesh Mohan, COO – Vedanta, Lanjigarh unit said, “Vedanta strives to provide the community with best facilities that are relevant to the needs of the people, in turn making Vedanta Hospital one of the most well-equipped and finest hospital in the region. Through these projects and regular interventions, we are having a wider reach in ensuring the quality of life of people.”
Over 30 cataract patients were screened with cataract and successfully operated during the third phase of the camp. The cataract patients were also distributed blankets. The patients availing the services were from nearby villages including Lanjigarh, Baterlima, Banipanga, Laichanpur, Chandanpur among others. A total of 118 patients have been catered to in the three phases of the cataract operation camp.The camp was flagged off by district officials, local leaders, villagers, Vedanta Hospital staff and Vedanta officials.
About Vedanta Limited, Lanjigarh Unit (Alumina Refinery)
Vedanta is the largest producer of aluminium in India and remains the premier manufacturer of metallurgical grade alumina. The company has carved a niche for itself in the aluminium industry with its superior product quality based on state-of-the-art technology. Vedanta Limited operates a 2 MTPA (million tonnes per annum) alumina refinery in Lanjigarh (Kalahandi district, Odisha), India since 2007 and an associated 90 MW captive power plant at Lanjigarh, which was commissioned in 2008. The refinery feeds Vedanta’s aluminium smelters at Jharsuguda in Odisha and at BALCO in Korba, Chhattisgarh.
In line with the group’s strategy of contributing to the communities it operates in, the company has focused interventions in the areas of health, education, livelihoods, and infrastructure amongst several others, in the Kalahandi region.
Vedanta Limited’s Lanjigarh unit has been conferred with several accolades across several critical business functions including:
• India Green Manufacturing Award 2018 for best Green Manufacturing Processes.
• CSR Health Impact Award 2019 for Open Defecation Free (ODF) under the Swachhta Project
• CSR Innovative Project Award for the revival of Dhokra Art and Saura Art
• Greentech Safety Award 2018 for its best Safety Management and Operations
• CII HR Excellence Award 2018 for its best Human Resource practices
• Excellent Energy Efficient Unit award 2019 for technological advancements in energy-efficiency initiatives
• 6th CSR Impact Award 2019 for Dhokra art under the ‘Aajeevika’ Livelihood project
• Kalinga Safety Excellence Award 2019 under the alumina sector category