New Delhi: The members of Commission for Air Quality Management(CAQM)in National Capital Region and adjoining Areas met and reviewed the air quality scenario in the region, actions taken by various agencies so far and further steps to be taken for improving the air quality.
The Commission noted that future action will necessitate consultation with various stakeholders. However, at this stage the Commission stressed the need to strictly enforce existing laws, rules, guidelines, directions and standard operating procedures to minimize air pollution on an emergency basis.
The Commission also felt that active public involvement is critical in the abatement of air pollution and identified the following major immediate measures:
1. Minimize use of personalized transport to the extent possible
2. Restrict travel unless absolutely essential
3. Encourage work from home
4. Strict enforcement of laws and rules regarding dust control measures including at construction sites
5. Strict enforcement to prevent burning of municipal solid waste and biomass
6. Intensify water sprinkling particularly in dust prone areas
7. Use of anti-smog guns at pollution hotspots specially at construction sites
8. Strict implementation of extant rules, Courts and Tribunal orders regarding stubble burning and use of fire crackers
9. Seek co-operation from civil society and public spirited citizens to report air pollution incidents on the Sameer App
10. Encourage coal using industries in NCR to minimize the use of coal in the coming months.