Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated Multipurpose Recreational Harbour at Satapada, Chilika lake.
The state-of-the-art facility will give safe berthing to at least 200 boats and has been completed in fastest time of two and half years.
Thousands of tourists frequent Satapada every day to see the elusive Irrawady dolphins and visit the sea mouth. Boat service for tourists is a major employment and livelihood source for the local communities. The cyclone Phailin of 2013 had completely ravaged the earlier jetty and destroyed hundreds of boats ,inflicting huge misery on the people. Post-cyclone we decided to construct a modern jetty for complete protection of the boats.
The jetty will positively impact tourism by ensuring organised system and services for the visitors. It will create employment opportunities for youth and improve connectivity among the island-laced lagoon.
Safety of tourists and boat passengers is also a priority. With the very purpose, a new scheme Saheed Baji Rout Noujatra Surakhya Yojana is going to be launched soon. Under the scheme, boats plying in various water channels in the state will be equipped with adequate life jackets, fire extinguishers and other life-saving equipment for safety of passengers.
The jetty will have a transformative impact on tourism in Chilika and bring prosperity for the local communities.
• The ₹19Cr project will accommodate 200 boats at any time.
• Work on the Multi Jetty Harbour started in 2015 and was completed in July, 2017.
• Features a main jetty, an approach jetty and 20 finger jetties.
• Major boost to tourism and connectivity in Chilika lake & nearby areas and will help create employment opportunities
• Saheed Baji Rout Noujatra Surakhya Yojana for ensuring safety of boat passengers announced
State Government is committed towards protecting ecology & bio-diversity in Chilika and all-round development of Brahmagiri.