New Delhi : Under the National Organ Transplant Programme (NOTP) a National Level Tissue Bank (Biomaterial Centre) for storing tissues has been established at National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation (NOTTO), New Delhi. Further, under the NOTP, a provision has also been made for providing financial support to the States for setting up of Bio- material centre. As of now a Regional Bio-material centre has been established at Regional Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation (ROTTO), Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Funds have also been released to the States of Bihar and Maharashtra for establishment of Bio-material Centre under NOTP.
The Government of India is implementing National Organ Transplant Programme (NOTP) to promote organ donation and transplantation across all States/Union Territories (UTs)including Karnataka. The provisions under the programme include:
- Setting up of State Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisations (SOTTOs) in each State/UT.
- Setting up of National/ Regional/State Bio-material centres.
- Financial support for establishing new Organ Transplant/retrieval facilities and strengthening of existing Organ Transplant/retrieval facilities.
- Training to transplant experts including surgeons, physicians, transplant coordinators, etc.
- Financial support for hiring of Transplant Coordinators to medical colleges and trauma centres.
- Post-transplant immune-suppressant drugs to Below Poverty Line (BPL) patients.
Under this programme, an apex level National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation (NOTTO) at New Delhi and Five Regional Organ and Tissue Transplant Organizations (ROTTOs) and fourteen SOTTOs have been established so far. Further, Regional Bio-material centre has been established at ROTTO, Tamil Nadu and funds have been released to the State of Bihar and Maharashtra for purpose.
The ‘National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation (NOTTO)’, ‘Regional Organ and Tissue Transplant Organizations (ROTTOs)’ and ‘State Organ and Tissue Transplant Organizations (SOTTOs)’ disseminate relevant information about organ donation in the public. A website www.notto.gov.in and a 24×7 call centre with a toll free helpline number (1800114770) have been made operational. A number of activities, for generating awareness are carried out from time to time. These include seminars, workshops, debates, sports events, walkathons, participation in marathons, nukkadnatak, celebration of Indian Organ Donation Day, etc. Social media is also being deployed to create awareness about organ donation among the citizens.
The Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, DrBharati Pravin Pawar stated this in a written reply in the RajyaSabha here today.