Odisha: Tirtol Acid attack accused men to go 5 day police remand


Report by Kahnu Nanda; Jagatsinghpur: Police have successfully nabbed the prime accused and his associate involved in shocking Tirtol acid attack incident occurred eight years ago.
The alleged accused was identified as Santosh Bedanta an army man posted at Kupwara in Jammu and Kashmir originally hailing from Joragadia village under Bhandaripokhari area in Bhadrak district, so also his friend Biswajit Dalsinghray a resident of Champagada village under Nayagarh district.
A police team of Jagatsinghpur arrested the prime accused Santosh from Kolkata and his associate Biswajit from his native village Champagada in Nayagarh district, revealed district HRPC deputy superintendent of police [DSP] Bamadev Singh in a press conference held in Tirtol police station on Sunday.
Meanwhile after arrest both accused men were presented in SDJM court here Monday seeking police remand the court allowed 5 days remand period for investigation.
The acid attack victim Pramodini Roula hails from Kanakpur village under Tirtol area had targeted by army man Santosh Bedanta by one side love in the year 2008 but teen aged Pramodini who was studying in Tirtol college had refused the love request.
On fateful April 18, 2008 when Pramodini was returning home from college the discouraged army man Santosh and his associate threw acid to her as consequence she lost her eye sight and turned blind including body injuries.
The injured acid attack victim had gone yearlong medical treatment and received cure but lost the eye sight. Meanwhile police registered a case but unable to nab the alleged accused men finally the case had closed due to inadequate evidences by SDJM court here in the year 2012.
Mounting pressure from several quarters and few NGO activists from New Delhi police had reopened the case in the year August 2017, in this regard SDJM allowed cops to begin fresh investigation. Acting on the event a special police team visited Jammu and Kashmir to nab the alleged accused army man but before arrival of cops the accused military man fled to Kolkata from where he was arrested by police on Saturday and brought to Tirtol police station on Sunday. Meanwhile the prime accused army man’s associate Biswajit was picked up by another police team from Nayagarh.
Report said that victim Pramodini underwent a several surgeries at SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack recently she had gone a surgery following which she is now able to get back partial eye sight, police informed at the press conference.