New Delhi : Under the aegis of Hon’ble Union Minister Tourism, Culture and Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Shri G. Kishan Reddy and with round the clock support from Hon’ble MoS Shri B. L. Verma, DoNER is committed to serve the North Eastern Region of the country addressed by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modiji as ‘Ashta Lakshmi’ the eight forms of the goddess of wealth.
During their small tenure till date, both the Ministers held several rounds of talk with their counterparts from key Central Ministries viz., Home, Finance, Railway, Civil Aviation, Education, Agriculture, Telecommunications, Jalshakti, Health, NHAI, etc. to speed up the ongoing projects and to further discuss new projects/schemes so as to give an overall development and to generate employment opportunities for the people of NER. Rounds of discussion were also held with Hon’ble CMs of the NER States to coordinate with the projects being implemented in the States. These efforts are not only conveying a positive face of Centre towards the NER but also bringing fruitful results, some of which are highlighted below:
- Home-Border area roads development –Fast Development under 10% GBS
- Railways-122 Tunnels work in progress in NER. 27 completed.
- Telecommunication– 6000 Villages identified for cellphone connectivity in NER. Tendering action completed for more than 5000 villages. For balance villages tendering action is in progress.
- Civil Aviation– Small flights under UDAN to NER have been introduced and some new routes under UDAN to be considered.
- Tourism– Secretary, Tourism held meetings with Film Industries, Mumbai to explore the possibility of NER as film shoots. Identification of 100 Viewing points to be developed in NER in consultation with DoNER.
- Health– AIIMS Guwahati work in progress.
- Oil Palm– Out of Rs. 12000 Crores Rs, 6000 crores allocated to NER.
- Visit of Union Ministers to NER- frequency increased.
As a result, there is a considerable transformation in the working of the Ministry and its organizations, which clearly reflects in their achievements as highlighted below:
MDONER in collaboration with NITI Aayog releases North Eastern Region District SDG Index and Dashboard 2021-22: With technical support from UNDP, first of its kind in the country as it focuses on the North Eastern Region. The index measures the performance of the District of the eight NE States. This is the first time, a District wise index is being prepared in the country. This SDG Index will be used as a base for planning of development and welfare activities, education, health care. Chairman stresses upon the need to generate livelihood which will not only help in increasing the family income but will also raise the living standards.
Committee Meeting under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Minister, DoNER to review and discuss Livelihood schemes being implemented by DoNER. Hon’ble MoS Shri B. L. Verma and Members of the Committee, Shri Abdul Khaleque, Ramprit Mandal, C. Lalrosanga and Rebati Tripura were present. Government of India is fully committed to raise the living standard of the people of NER besides strengthening of infrastructure and connectivity in the region as well as other measures for its holistic development through the collective efforts of all the Union Ministries/Departments.
Oil Palm Mission: The National Mission on Edible Oils – Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) as a new centrally sponsored scheme with a special focus on NE Region and A&N islands. MoU for the Bamboo FPO Agreement on Edible Oils – Oil Palm for NE States has been signed. The aim of the Mission on edible oils is to increase the cultivation of oil palm from 3.5 lakh Ha. to 10 lakh Ha. across India in the next five years. 50% of the new cultivation is targeted for NE Region. Out of the estimated cost of the scheme of Rs. 11,040 crores, about Rs. 6,000 crores will directly benefit the farmers of NE States.
Revival of North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC): The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister has approved a revival package of Rs. 77.45 crore for revival of NERAMAC. Revival package will help NERAMAC to implement various innovative plans namely providing better farming facilities, training to farmers in cluster, organic seeds and fertilizers etc and will generate direct or indirect employment for about 33,000 persons.
Workshop on “The changing role of North Eastern Council in the development of North Eastern Region (NER)” in Shillong: A workshop titled “The changing role of North Eastern Council in the development of North Eastern Region (NER)” organized at the Conference Auditorium of NEC, Shillong. The Chief Guest of the event was Hon’ble Vice president Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu.
COVID related infrastructure:
- Oxygen Plant was setup in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh with financial support provided by MDoNER.
- COVID relief container having 10710 family health and hygiene kit, 10 oxygen concentrators, 3 portable health devices for 3 district hospitals, oxymeters, medicine kit and 3 telephonic medical consultation devices was sent to designated places in the State of Nagaland.
- 250 crore sanctioned by MDoNER for healthcare facilities to fight COVID-19 in NE States.
Atmanirbhar Hastshilpkar Scheme by NEDFi under MDoNER:
With the objective to develop the petty artisans of the NE Region by providing financial assistance NEDFi has introduced Atmanirbhar Hastshilpkar Scheme.
Monitoring and Geo-Tagging of projects in NE Region: Initial stage of development of project monitoring mechanism alongwith its Geo tagging in NE region being funded by DoNER/NEC. This is first of its kind in the whole Country where there is an Institutionalized involvement of ISRO in mapping and sharing of data for development projects.
Destination North East and Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM): Regular preparatory meetings are taking place at the highest level for the celebrations of the AKAM and DNE, which is scheduled from 126.96.36.1992 to 22.01.2022 spread over NER states with some events in the Capital. Awareness programs in the form of Quiz contest and videography and photogrtaphy context have already been started through MyGov platform and are attracting interest from general public.
Digitization of MDoNER: 100% implementation of upgraded e-Office version 7.0. Training to make staff well versed with the new version has also been provided through VC.
Hon’ble Minister of MDoNER inaugurates several developmental works in Nagaland: Hon’ble Minister laid foundation stone for the training cum examination centre at Dimapur and also inaugurated the soil testing laboratory at the State Directorate of Soil and Water Conservation in Kohima, Nagaland. The Minister also inaugurated the construction of widening of a road from NH-29 connecting Sovima village in Thahekhu village in Dimapur, Nagaland.
Protection of Culture and Tradition of North East: The Government of India has set up North East Zone Cultural Centre (NEZCC) at Dimapur an eastern Zonal cultural (EZCC) at Kolkata (Autonomous organization under Ministry of Culture) to protect and promote the rich and diverse traditions and culture of NE Region.
Focused Development of Backward Blocks and villages in North Eastern Region: 40 backward blocks identified in 20 districts across the 8 NE states have been identified for launching a special time-bound programme for focused development. 40 villages have also been identified to start a pilot project for providing services uniformly to the villagers for their decent living.
India Russia Friendship Car Rally 2021: The event organized by International Friendship Car Rally Association (IFCRA) and took place in Russia from 18th to 20th April, 2021. This event is sponsored by MDoNER and supported by Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and Ministry of External Affairs.
Integrated bamboo treatment Plant in NECBDC: Hon’ble MoS
DoNER inaugurated the Bamboo Treatment Plant with latest technology in the premises of North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC), Burnihat, Guwahati.
North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS)
Since 01.01.2021, 30 projects worth Rs. 413.63 crore have been sanctioned in various North Eastern States under North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS), which include 17 health projects worth Rs. 231.19 crore sanctioned for strengthening health infrastructure of NE States and combating outbreak of COVID-19. The sector-wise details of projects sanctioned since 01.01.2021 under NESIDS are as under:
|S.No||Sector||No. of projects||Cost
(Rs. In crore)
Since 01.01.2021, funds amounting to Rs. 841.80 crore were released to the NE States under various schemes of MDoNER viz. NESIDS; NLCPR- State; HADP; SIDF; Special Packages of Assam, (BTC; DHATC & KAATC).
North Eastern Council
Schemes of NEC: During 2021 (01.01.2021- 30.11. 2021), 70 projects costing Rs.289.38 crore was sanctioned. During the period, 73 numbers of projects amounting Rs. 1257.68 crore was completed/closed.
North East Road Sector Development Scheme (NERSDS): During 2021, a total number of 7 projects costing Rs.371.50 crore were sanctioned. However no project was completed during the 2021.
30% Component: The Union Cabinet held in January 2020 approved earmarking of 30 percent of North Eastern Council’s (NEC’s) allocation for new projects under the existing “Schemes of NEC” for focused development of deprived areas; deprived/neglected sections of society and emerging priority sectors in the North Eastern States. Accordingly, during 2021, 21 projects costing Rs.57.33 crore were sanctioned under Schemes of NEC.
Some of the initiatives of NEC are highlighted as under:
- Rural Economic and Livelihood Project: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 3.00 crores the project is to establish fish pond for quality production of table fish, goat rearing units and doubling farmer’s income through table fish, fresh mutton/goat meat etc. in the State of Manipur.
- Promotion of low chilling apple planation in North Eastern Region of India (2020-21): Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 3.07 crores, the project focuses to transform traditional agriculture into a cash crop farming through high value horticultural crop such as low chilling apple plantation, increase the production of apple fruit, to minimize the import of fruits and To doubling farmer’s income through high value cash crop. The project is located in Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Organic tea cultivation in Tamenglong District, Manipur: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 4.59 crores the project is to transform traditional agriculture into a cash crop farming.
- Promotion of mixed cropping, fishery and livestock for sustainable farming in Noney district of Manipur: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 50.61 lakhs the project is to enhance the crop production, to promote and upscale mixed cropping etc.
- Promotion of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (MAP) based livelihood opportunities in the North Eastern Region to augment rural income and promote resilient livelihood opportunities through the establishment of an entrepreneurial ecosystem, Meghalaya: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 4.85 crore the project is to reduce dependency on and transform shifting agriculture/ wasteland into a cash crop farming through high value medicinal and aromatic plants.
- Promotion of fishery and piggery fattening in the North East India: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 4.90 crore the project is to establish piggery fattening units, increase the production of table fish and fresh pork meat, doubling farmer’s income. The project is located in the States of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Meghalaya.
- Establishment of Piggery Value Chain in Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishnupur districts of Manipur: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 4.72 crore the project is to establish Animal feeds production and packaging unit to meet the demands of feeds for piggery.
- Apiary Development in Assam, Manipur and Meghalaya: Implemented by NERCRMS with an estimated cost of Rs. 4.99 crore the project is to develop apiary units in Assam, Manipur and Meghalaya.
North Eastern States Roads Investment Programme (NESRIP): The scheme envisaged construction/upgradation of a total of approximately 433.225 km long roads in 6 North Eastern States of Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura in two tranches i.e. Tranche-I and Tranche-II. During the year 2021-22 a total of Rs. 224.25 crore has been released so far.
Externally Aided Projects (EAP): Externally Aided Project is an important window for getting funds and technical expertise from various external agencies for development of sectors like infrastructure, health, livelihood, etc which are essential for NER. During the year 2021-22 a total of 27 projects amounting to Rs. 37690.16 crore have been supported by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region for NER region.
IT Initiatives: Information and Communications Technology has been strengthened in the Ministry to assist planning, execution and monitoring of various development schemes in the NE Region. In addition, ICT has been utilised to monitor the various major projects implemented in NER region by various other Ministries. Also supports have been provided to various organizations viz. NEC, NEDFi, NERAMAC, NEHHDC etc viz. major achievements so far are as under:
- MDoNER website viz. https://mdoner.gov.in has been revamped with additional information about the Ministry and NER
- The Dedicated Project portals viz https://nlcpr.mdoner.gov.in for NLCPR (Non Lapsable Central Pool of Resources) and https://nesids.mdoner.gov.in for NESIDS (North East Special Infrastructure Developmental Scheme) have been upgraded and on-boarded the remaining smaller schemes viz. NESRIP , SIDF , BTC (Bodoland Territorial Council), KAATC (Karbi Anglong Autonomous Territorial Council), DHATC (Dima Hasao Autonomous Territorial Council ) etc. in NLCPR project portal.
- MDoNER has mapped large infrastructure and social ongoing projects costing Rs 50 crores and above implemented in NER by various Ministries/ Departments on PMO’s Prayas Dashboard portal.
- The dashboard of NEC schemes has been developed and published at https://data.mdoner.gov.in/
- The VC system and web-room sessions have been intensively used for both internal and external purposes to follow the Covid-19 protocol.
Social Media Initiatives: Major achievement of Ministry and its organizations are being covered on daily basis by way of creatives, news items and stories through Social Media Account of DoNER on daily basis. As a result, there is considerable increase in the reach of the programs/schemes of Ministry.