Foreign Tourist Arrivals (in Million) during 2017, 2018 and 2019 were 10.04, 10.56 and 10.89 (provisional) respectively. Thus there has been no decline in Foreign Tourist Arrivals to India during the last three years.
Destinations wise tourist visits is not centrally maintained in the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. However, details of top 10 States in terms of Foreign Tourist Visits (FTV) during 2018 are given below:
|Sr. no.||State||FTV during 2018 (Revised)|
*Data for 2017 is repeated for 2018.
Development of tourist spots and improvement of infrastructure quality is primarily the responsibility of the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration. However, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India under its schemes of Swadesh Darshan, PRASHAD and Assistance to Central Agencies, provides central financial assistance to State Governments/Union Territories/Central Agencies for development of tourism related infrastructure and facilities to provide an enriching tourism experience to visitors which would result in attracting more foreign tourist to India. The projects under the schemes are identified for development in consultation with State Governments/UT Administration and are sanctioned subject to availability of funds. Projects under the schemes are under various stages of implementation.
Further, Ministry of tourism has taken various steps to attract foreign tourist in the country, which inter-alia include the following:
- Extended E- Visa facility to citizens of several countries.
- The Incredible India 2.0 campaign launched with market specific promotional plans and content creation.
- 24×7 Toll Free Multi-Lingual Tourist Helpline 1800111363 launched in 10 International Languages and Hindi & English.
- Organization of biennial International Buddhist Conclave.
- Organization of Annual International Tourism Mart for promotion of tourism in North Eastern States.
- Promotion of activities in tourist generating markets overseas through the India Tourism Offices abroad with active participation in International Tourism Events.
This information was given by the Minister of State (I/c) of Culture and Tourism, Shri Prahlad Singh Patel in a written reply in the Lok Sabha today.