Lanjigarh: Vedanta Limited, Aluminium & Power Business’ Lanjigarh alumina refinery received the Greentech Safety Awards 2019 for exceptional performance in the field of safety at workplace. Organised by Greentech Foundation, the Lanjigarh unit received the platinum award under the Mines & Metal category in the 18th Annual Greentech Occupational Health, Safety and Disaster Management Conference at New Delhi. On behalf of the company, Mr. Misbah Uddin Khan, Head – Health – safety-Environment, Vedanta Lanjigarh unit received the award. Present during the occasion were eminent dignitaries, industry experts and business leaders among others.
On receiving the award, Mr. Rakesh Mohan, Chief Operating Officer – Vedanta Lanjigarh remarked: “Our motto of achieving Zero Harm is the driving force that ensures safety of all. This accolade is a recognition of our relentless efforts towards safety of all our community, associate partners, employees and families. With safety as our foremost pillar, Vedanta is continuously striving for a culture of care for all its stakeholders and imbibing best safe practices in and around its operations.”
Driving all operations under the motto of Zero Harm, Zero Waste and Zero Discharge, Vedanta is contributing towards operational and business excellence, occupational safety, health, environment, and working conditions. With robust interventions to enable integrated behavioural and safety management systems, Vedanta is strengthening its Safety Management System around its operations. Vedanta’s Lanjigarh unit has also incorporated several safety initiatives, systems and applications to promote safe behaviour and raise awareness on safe environment.
About Vedanta Limited, Lanjigarh Unit (Alumina Refinery)
Vedanta is the largest producer of aluminium in India and remains the premier manufacturer of metallurgical grade alumina. The company has carved a niche for itself in the aluminium industry with its superior product quality based on state-of-the-art technology. Vedanta Limited operates a 2 MTPA (million tonnes per annum) alumina refinery in Lanjigarh (Kalahandi district, Odisha), India since 2007 and an associated 90 MW captive power plant at Lanjigarh, which was commissioned in 2008. The refinery feeds Vedanta’s aluminium smelters at Jharsuguda in Odisha and at BALCO in Korba, Chhattisgarh.
In line with the group’s strategy of contributing to the communities it operates in, the company has focused interventions in the areas of health, education, livelihoods, and infrastructure amongst several others, in the Kalahandi region.
Vedanta Limited’s Lanjigarh unit has been conferred with several accolades across several critical business functions including:
• India Green Manufacturing Award 2018 for best Green Manufacturing Processes.
• CSR Health Impact Award 2019 for Open Defecation Free (ODF) under the Swachhta Project
• CSR Innovative Project Award for the revival of Dhokra Art and Saura Art
• Greentech Safety Award 2018 for its best Safety Management and Operations
• CII HR Excellence Award 2018 for its best Human Resource practices
• Excellent Energy Efficient Unit award 2019 for technological advancements in energy-efficiency initiatives
• 6th CSR Impact Award 2019 for Dhokra art under the ‘Aajeevika’ Livelihood project
• Kalinga Safety Excellence Award 2018 under the alumina sector category
• Greentech Safety Award 2019 under the Mines & Metal Category