Bhubabaneswar: At State Level Committee meet on Natural Calamities, Chief Minister Shri Naveen Patnaik reiterated ‘zero casualty’ approach to all disasters.
Highlights from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik’s address at the meet:
• Odisha will be the first state in the country to make Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) operational
• People will be informed about impending disasters through siren alert towers in six vulnerable coastal districts
• While Odisha is prone to natural calamities, the state did not suffer any major disaster in 2016 due to administrative alertness and proactive action
• Directed immediate and adequate measures in respect of early warning, rescue and relief, drinking water, health and veterinary services to be in place as monsoon sets in
• Round the clock control rooms will be functional in all districts and departments.
• Special attention during disasters to vulnerable sections like pregnant women, differently-abled, children, widows and elderly population during rescue and relief operations.
He directed ODRAF & Fire Services to remain alert for instant response and stock sufficient food materials and animal feed at districts.