KABICHANDRA KALICHARAN PATNAIK
Born on 23rd December 1897, he occupies an unique place in Oriya drama literature. For about half a century he had made experiment in Oriya drama uninterruptedly in new style and dimension and has made it prosporous. For his talent in drama the Gajapati of Puri Sri Rama Chandra Dev in 1927 had adorned him the title of ‘Kabichandra’. In 1944 Utkala Sahitya Samaj had also conferred on his the Natya Charya’ title. In 1975 Sambalpur University had conferred upon him the he had got award of Sangeeta Natak Academy for his drama. In 1977 Kendra Sahitya Academy had awarded “Kumbhar Chaka”, his autobiography. His melodious drama (Lila Natak) includes – KALANKA VANJANA, DARIDRYA VANJANA MILANA MADHURI, SRI RADHA, BANSARIRA BILAPA, BAHAVIHAR, KAUTUKA CHINTAMANI, BIDYAVALI, KISHORE CHANDRANANDA Champu, Gita Gobina, Pritisudhakara, Manini and Akhira Dekha.
- Maytholigical Drama Indlude : DHRUBA, MRUGAYA, SAKUNTALA, HARISCHANDRA, CHAKRI, DASABHUJA.
- Historical Dramas includes : ABHIJANA (1946), MALATI, RAKTA MANDARA.
- Character Dramas include : JAYADEVA, SARALA DAS, JAGANNATH DAS.
- Social Dramas include : PRATISODHA, GIRK SCHOLL (1942), AHUTI, CHUMBANA, KAMALA (1943) BHATA (1945), HURANCHAL (1946), RAKTAMATI (1947), PHATABHUIN, SANDHANA (1953) HIRAKHANDA (1953).
- Story Collection include : BANAPHULA
- Poem Collection include : Chandrika, Phularenu
- Stage drama include : MANCHADHARA
- Poetic Drama : ANANGA
- One act plays include : PANCHARANGA, SADARASA, SAPTAPARNI JIBITA TARPANA, JUGAPURUSHA
All the Odissi dance Gurus and dancers and danseuse will remember him for ever for his best endeavours to give classical status to Odissi dance. Only for him Odissi dance got its recognition in 1958. Till his death he had made his tooth and nail efforts to give Odissi music a classical music. For all Oriya Gurus and singers he was the pole-star shining luminously in the sky of Odissi dance and Odissi music and still burning radiant and resplendent.