Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik reviewed progress of ongoing paddy procurement for Kharif 2017 season and directed maximum offtake from farmers with special focus on their registration. Registration of small and marginal farmers for paddy procurement should be a priority.
Highlights of the review:
• 11.05 lakh farmers registered during Kharif 2017 as on 9 January, 2018 against 9.76 lakh during corresponding period in 2017
• 17.90 lakh tonne paddy procured as on 9 January 2018 against 14.11 lakh tonne during corresponding period in 2017
• Paddy worth₹2,736 crore procured from 3 lakh farmers as on 9 January 2018 & ₹2,356.75 crore disbursed as payment to them
• Transfer of payment to farmers accounts in cooperative banks within 24 hours, other banks within 72 hours
• Mandis to be open during paddy procurement, provisioning of necessary infrastructure at paddy procurement centres
• Action against millers defaulting in supply of rice against paddy procurement
The Chief Minister stressed ensuring coverage of farmers under crop insurance and timely procurement of their produce as well as timely release of payments to them.
Among others, Chief Secretary AP Padhi, CM’s Principal Secretary Rajesh Verma and Principal Secretaries of concerned departments were present.