Bhubaneswar: On Disaster Preparedness Day and National Day for Disaster Reduction, Chief Minister Shri Naveen Patnaik highlighted Odisha as a model to world in Disaster Management & Risk Mitigation despite facing fury of cyclones often.
Highlights from his address at the event:
• State Government has ensured adequate planning, preparedness and continuous capacity building to minimize human casualty during any disaster
• 879 Multipurpose Cyclone & Flood Shelters, 17,000 houses reconstructed for Phailin affected people of Ganjam & Khordha districts and 571 houses at Bagpatia for sea inundation affected people of Satbhaya, Kendrapara
• 5 Special Godowns & 12 Saline Embankments in disaster prone areas
• Volunteers of NCC, NSS & YRC of different colleges trained on disaster management skills by OSDMA
• Early Warning Dissemination Systems in coastal districts & School Safety Policy 2016 for disaster awareness and readiness right from childhood
Chief Minister Shri Patnaik visited the exhibits of various preparedness mechanisms and switched on a Demonstration Tower Siren as part of Early Warning Detection System. EWDS can warn people in a disaster like situation. He also watched a demonstration of cycle ambulances which will play a key role during disaster relief.